- Booking terms and conditions
- About us
- How to contact us
- Glossary of terms
- The service(s) we provide
- Use of the booking service
- Pricing, fees and charges
- Your contract
- Your booking
- Accuracy of information provided
- Receiving tickets
- When you receive your tickets
- Refunds and exchanges
- Changes required by us
- Before/during/after the journey
- Limitations on liability
- Governing Law
- Suspected fraudulent payments
- UK rail terms and conditions
- Voucher codes
Booking terms and conditions
When you purchase a ticket on our website (raileurope.co.uk) or one of our mobile apps, you are bound by these terms and conditions as well as any specific fare conditions associated with your train ticket(s).
We may vary these terms and conditions at any time. Each time you make a purchase you will be deemed to have accepted the terms and conditions applicable at the time of your booking, and any additional or varied terms (including any fare conditions), as may be communicated to you at the time of booking. Please read all such applicable terms carefully to understand your rights and obligations.
The booking service on our website and our apps is provided by Loco2 Ltd. Loco2 Ltd is registered in England and Wales under company number 05822368 with registered office at c/o Brachers, Somerfield House, London Road, Maidstone Kent, ME16 8JH.
How to contact us
If you have any queries regarding these terms and conditions and/or our service, please contact us:
Our registered office is at:
Kent, ME16 8JH
Glossary of terms
In these terms and conditions, the following definitions apply unless the context otherwise requires:
- ““you” and “your”” means any customer of our website or apps , including all passengers (or any of them as applicable) named on a booking, and the cardholder (whether or not they are also a passenger).
- “booking confirmation email” means an email sent to confirm your purchase, containing full details of the tickets purchased and the delivery method.
- “cardholder” means the named debit or credit card holder who pays for the booking.
- “carrier” means a railway undertaking or train operating company providing transport or travel services to passengers related to a ticket.
- “collect at station” means a ticket that must be collected using a reference contained in your booking confirmation email from a self-service ticket machine or ticket counter at a designated train station.
- “fare conditions” means the specific conditions that apply to a booking, which you must confirm acceptance of separately to these booking terms and conditions before purchasing a ticket.
- “force majeure” means an event that is outside of our and/or any carrier’s control and which affects our and/or the carrier’s ability to provide services, and which we and/or the relevant carrier could not have avoided, for example war, earthquake or flood.
- “lead passenger” means the first passenger named on the booking.
- “Rail Europe account” means a user account created on raileurope.co.uk or via one of our mobile applications (iOS or Android).
- “Rail Europe order reference” means the reference contained in your booking confirmation email used to identify your purchase.
- “mobile ticket” means a ticket consisting of an image which must be presented from a mobile device on the train.
- “passengers” means all passengers named on the booking.
- “Passenger Rights” means your rights as a rail passenger in the European Union as contained in EC Regulation No 1371/2007 on Rail Passengers' Rights and Obligations.
- “postal” means a paper ticket that is sent by Royal Mail post to a UK address according to the delivery method chosen at the point of purchase.
- “print at home” means a PDF ticket attached to your booking confirmation email that must be printed at home prior to departure.
- “service” means the ticket-booking service provided at raileurope.co.uk or via one of our mobile applications (iOS or Android), as described in section 2 below.
- “terms and conditions” means the terms and conditions set out below.
- “ticket” means a ticket entitling travel which may or may not be inclusive of a seat reservation, as per the details and conditions of your booking, covering all delivery methods (postal, print at home, collect at station, mobile, and paperless).
- “paperless” means a ticket consisting of a reference code which must be presented on the train.
- ““we” and “us” and “our”” means the company “Loco2 Ltd” or “of the company Loco2 Ltd”.
The service(s) we provide
- We provide an independent and impartial web-based service that enables you to search for and purchase train tickets from multiple rail operators, including UK train operating companies, SNCF (France), Deutsche Bahn (Germany) and Renfe (Spain).
- We are responsible for placing an order on your behalf with the relevant carrier., but we are not responsible for running the travel services ourselves.
Use of the booking service
- In the case of international bookings, the lead passenger must be at least 18 years old.
- Both the cardholder and all passengers are bound by these terms and conditions.
- The lead passenger agrees to provide accurate and full information to all passengers in relation to the booking, including any changes, and confirms that all passengers agree to be bound by these terms and conditions.
- Group bookings (10 people or more) cannot be placed over the Internet, and must be arranged by email or over the telephone.
- Please be aware that in the event that a carrier finds a group of more than 10 passengers travelling together without having the correct ticket applicable to a group booking, the carrier will have the right to cancel the ticket and require the passengers to re-purchase tickets at the rate available at the time of travel or to exclude the passengers from travelling.
- We accept no liability whatsoever for any loss or liability incurred as a result of the group booking not being made in accordance with the above clauses 6.4 and 6.5.
Pricing, fees and charges
- When you search for a ticket on our website and/or our app, our software queries the relevant carrier booking system(s) for prices. Tickets are subject to availability and prices can change at any time.
- When you confirm your intent to reserve specific tickets our software will check the live availability and price, therefore changes may occur before final price and availability is confirmed.
- Prices quoted on our website and our apps are in Pounds Sterling (£), United States Dollars ($) or Euros (€). We are not responsible for the exchange rate or any bank fees applied if you make a purchase from an account that uses a different currency.
- We may charge a booking fee on some journeys. If applicable, this fee is indicated before you make payment.
When you purchase a ticket using our booking service, the contract is for us to supply a valid ticket from a relevant carrier(s). This responsibility is discharged once the booking confirmation email has been sent, or in the case of postal tickets, the tickets we posted.
- After purchasing tickets you will have a separate contract with the relevant carrier(s). The terms and conditions of the carrier(s) will apply to your contract with them.
- For all matters associated with the actual travel and use of the tickets, your contract is directly with the relevant carrier. We act only as an agent or sub-agent and will not be liable for any matters arising from, or connected with, the actual travel or use of the tickets, which do not form part of the contract with us.
- When you purchase a ticket using our booking service, the contract is for us to supply a valid ticket from a relevant carrier(s). This responsibility is discharged once the booking confirmation email has been sent, or in the case of postal tickets, the tickets we posted.
- We agree to place a booking on your behalf with a carrier(s) for the tickets you have selected on our website and/or app. We will send a booking confirmation email to the address you have provided.
- Any questions relating to your booking should be directed to us and we will contact the carrier(s) on your behalf or advise you how to do so.
- Your booking may incur postage charges. These will be confirmed to you at the time of booking.
- A contract with the relevant carrier is only formed once payment has been received and the booking confirmed. For the avoidance of doubt it is agreed that neither we nor the carrier(s) shall have any responsibility or liability with respect to any changes to i) a carrier's advance booking period, ii) the availability or non-availability of a carrier's offers, or iii) a carrier's offer terms made at any time before a contract is formed. It is your responsibility to check all such changes and final contract including fare conditions.
Accuracy of information provided
- It is your responsibility to provide an accurate email address in order to receive your booking confirmation email.
- At the moment payment is made, we confirm (and you agree with) details of the booking, the price and any conditions that apply to the tickets.
- We accept no liability for, and it is agreed that the carrier shall not be liable for, ticket errors that are the result of incorrect or incomplete information provided by you at the time of booking.
We offer mobile tickets wherever possible.
- Your mobile tickets are available in our mobile app.
- Your booking confirmation email will include an image attachment which is also accessible via the 'Your Trips' section of your Rail Europe account. You must ensure that your mobile device can clearly display the image whilst travelling. You may be refused travel if you are unable to display your ticket due to insufficient battery or any other issue with your mobile device.
- If tickets were purchased for more than one passenger, all passengers should travel together and the lead passenger must carry the credit/debit card used to make the booking
We offer paperless tickets wherever possible.
- Where paperless travel is available this will be clearly displayed during the booking process and in booking confirmations.
- Your booking confirmation email will contain a "PNR" reference which you can use for travel on the train or bus.
- The lead passenger's name will be held on a list by the carrier, and the lead passenger must carry identification in order that the carrier can match this with the paperless reference presented on the train.
Collect at station tickets are made available by most carriers. Collect at station tickets will be offered when necessary.
- Your booking confirmation email will contain a reference enabling you to obtain your ticket from a self-service ticket machine or ticket counter at a designated train station.
- Please ensure you leave sufficient time to collect your tickets before travel. We recommend at least 30 minutes before your planned departure and 60 minutes in the case of Eurostar journeys.
- It is necessary to collect and retain your ticket in order to be permitted to travel. You cannot travel with just a ticket collection reference, or booking confirmation email print out.
- The booking confirmation email will confirm if your payment debit or credit card is required when collecting tickets. If the payment card is required to collect tickets, it is your responsibility to have the card used for booking with you when collecting tickets.
- It is your responsibility to check the opening times and accessibility of the ticket office and/or ticket collection machines. We are not liable for any event which results in you being unable to obtain your tickets.
Print at home tickets are available for some routes and we offer them where possible.
- Your booking confirmation email will include a PDF attachment and/or link to download a PDF ticket.
- You must ensure that you print the PDF ticket clearly on A4/US Letter paper. You cannot travel with just an electronic version of the PDF, or a print-out of the booking confirmation email only.
- You must carry appropriate identification as required by the fare conditions, including proof of age where necessary. If tickets were purchased for more than one passenger, all passengers should travel together, and the lead passenger is responsible for ensuring that all passengers carry appropriate identification.
When you receive your tickets
- For all bookings, we (or the carrier(s)) deliver a confirmation email upon completion of your order. If the email confirmation containing your tickets or collection/paperless reference has not been received within 2 hours of your booking you should contact us. In the event that you have not received the email (including in your spam folder) and you fail to contact us within the specified time period, neither we or the carrier(s), accept any loss or liability for any ticket or ticket collection reference not received or consequential loss or costs that you may incur arising from your inability to travel.
- We assume that tickets/itineraries have been issued correctly unless we are notified of an error within the specified time period. It is your responsibility to check tickets at the point of booking. Any discrepancy must be notified as soon as possible, and no later than 2 days from receipt of tickets.
- Responsibility for incorrect dates/times and passenger details are yours at the time of booking. We can only assist if the fare conditions of the ticket permit refunds or exchanges.
- Amendments cannot usually be made to non-exchangeable/non-refundable tickets.
- If you have any queries about your booking you should contact us in the first instance, and we will raise a query with the carrier(s) on your behalf. This applies also if you have queries regarding the accuracy and completeness of your tickets when you receive them.
Refunds and exchanges
- You will be notified of the specific fare conditions of the ticket(s) during the booking process, and are required to confirm that you have read and accept them prior to checkout.
- Fare conditions may specify that tickets are non-flexible, non-exchangeable and non-refundable, or they may specify timeframes in which exchanges and refunds may be applied for.
- Fare conditions may specify a fixed fee or percentage of the fare that is retained by the carrier in the case of issuing a refund or exchange.
- Where refund and exchange conditions are the same, tickets must be refunded and new tickets purchased instead of tickets being exchanged ("refund and rebook"). Refund and rebook will only be enforced where the refund and exchange conditions are identical.
- Tickets with a compulsory seat reservation can only be used on the travel service specified on the ticket. To travel at another time or date, tickets need to be exchanged (if fare conditions permit) or another ticket must be purchased in order to travel.
- Where ticket conditions permit an exchange, only the date and time can be amended. The route and/or the name of passengers may not be changed. All exchanges are subject to availability in the same fare category as the original ticket. If no availability exists, you may be able to exchange for another fare or upgrade at additional cost, subject to availability on the travel service you require.
- Unless otherwise specified in the fare conditions, exchanges can only be made prior to the date and time on the ticket.
- All exchanges must be for a date on which booking is open when the exchange is requested.
- Where a ticket permits an exchange, further costs may be incurred according to the fare conditions and price of new tickets. We will notify you of any additional fees and provide an online additional payment form. New tickets will be issued on receipt of payment.
- We and the carrier uphold the right to levy an administration fee for any changes requested. Any administration fees levied by the carrier are passed on to you by us.
- Exchange and refund requests should be made via your Rail Europe account. An account can be created at the point of purchase, or at any time after booking by using the same email address that was used to place an earlier order.
- Where exchanges are permissible, requests for amendments must be received at least 24 hours before departure of booked train. Changes requested less than 24 hours before departure cannot be guaranteed and we will not be held liable for any additional costs incurred if you wish to travel on a different train to the one originally booked.
- It is not usually possible to exchange or refund tickets at the train station unless explicitly confirmed in the fare conditions or by a member of our staff prior to travel. If changes are required within 24 hours of departure, we recommend speaking to staff at the departure station prior to departure.
- For tickets where exchange or refund is not possible via the Rail Europe account (and where an exchange or refund is permitted by the fare conditions of the purchased ticket), we will notify you by email of the cost of the exchange or refund. We will also notify you by email whether you are required to return ticket(s) to us by post.
- If we notify you by email that you are required to return ticket(s) to us by post, all tickets (both outbound and return) must be returned to us within 28 days of the travel date in order for an exchange or refund to be made (this applies to exchanges made prior to, during and after travel where the applying fare conditions allow this). Failure to do this will prevent the exchange or refund of tickets.
- Any tickets required to be returned by post are posted using special delivery, which will incur an additional charge to be paid by you. We are not liable for any tickets lost in the post when being returned to us.
- When you request a refund for tickets that cannot be refunded via your Rail Europe account, and where the fare conditions of your ticket(s) permit refunds, we will either contact the carrier on your behalf to apply for a refund, or advise you on how to obtain a refund directly from the carrier.
- Refunds are not usually possible where a ticket has been partially used. In the event of disruption or non-provision of part of a service by a carrier, an appropriate endorsement must be obtained as per clause 16.2.
- Once processed, refunds will be made to the same debit/credit card used for the original purchase.
- Any request for a refund, reimbursement or compensation that is not available via your Rail Europe account must be submitted to us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Any customer seeking to obtain a refund, reimbursement or compensation via their bank or PayPal may be subject to an admin fee. We reserve the right to deduct a fee (£25.00 (€37.50, $40.00)) from any refund or compensation subsequently obtained to cover the administrative cost of defending or disputing a payment with our payment provider or your bank.
Changes required by us
- Anytime prior to confirmation of a booking, carriers may vary ticket prices without notice. The final price will be shown at the point of purchase.
- We (or the relevant carrier(s)) may amend the confirmation of the booking or payment taken for tickets where an error has been made or where a force majeure event occurs (see the glossary of terms section at the beginning of these terms and conditions), requiring such variation. These variations and amendments will be binding on you.
- If a carrier makes a material change to the booking, you will be advised as soon as possible. You will be required to immediately elect to accept the change, make another booking or cancel the booking. Where the booking is cancelled, in cases where payment has been received, we will refund you in full.
Before/during/after the journey
- We recommend you use mobile or paperless tickets wherever possible, and you are responsible for the safekeeping of tickets in any form. If a booking confirmation email is lost and you can quote the booking reference number and email used during the booking, we can re-send the email. Other than this, we (or the carrier(s)) cannot replace lost, stolen or misplaced tickets, nor refund their cost.
- Neither we, nor carrier(s) will be liable to you if travel has not been possible because the passenger(s) do not have the correct documents, including passport and visas where necessary. It is your responsibility to check whether passengers require a visa to travel to, or via, a specific country or countries and to make full arrangements for this prior to the purchase of the ticket.
- Passengers must retain all tickets for the duration of their journey (including outbound tickets until the end of the return journey) and produce them when requested. In case of after-sales query or complaint, it may be necessary for all tickets related to the whole booking to be returned on request.
- If you travel without a valid ticket, or in the wrong class, or on a discounted ticket for which you are ineligible, you may be charged on the basis of the full fare applicable to the train, journey and class in which you are travelling as at the date of your journey.
- Breaks in the journey are only allowed if the ticket type explicitly permits them.
- If your journey is cancelled or severely disrupted it may be possible to claim a refund or other compensation, regardless of the fare conditions of your ticket(s).
- In the event of disruption or non-provision of part of a service by the carrier, confirmation of the incident and/or endorsement of appropriate ticket(s) must be obtained from a member of staff, present when the incident took place.
- Any request for a refund, reimbursement or compensation arising from a claim, delay or disruption should be submitted to us by emailing email@example.com . We will advise you to contact the carrier(s) if appropriate or submit a claim on your behalf.
- In most cases, claims should be made directly with the carrier, and We will advise how to submit claims according to the process outlined by the relevant carrier(s).
- Customers may be required to return physical tickets by post to proceed with a claim. We will advise of the need to return any tickets by post.
- As an agent or sub-agent to the carrier(s), we are not liable for claims arising from actual travel. We will forward any notices or claims received to the appropriate carrier(s) for action where necessary.
- Any customer seeking to obtain a refund, reimbursement or compensation via their bank or PayPal for a claim may be subject to an administrative fee. We reserve the right to deduct a fee (£25.00 (€37.50, $40.00)) from any refund or compensation subsequently awarded to cover the administrative cost of defending or disputing a payment with the payment provider.
- Please refer to the terms and conditions of the relevant carrier(s) in relation to any provisions concerning your luggage, including any exclusions and limitations stating the liability of the carriers for loss, damage, destruction of luggage and late delivery of registered luggage.
- Carriers may impose restrictions on the amount of luggage passengers may carry, and may levy a fee in respect to excess luggage, or require excess luggage to be sent via a registered baggage service.
- The carrier may decline to accept certain items of luggage. Passengers are advised to check the details before travelling.
- Lost and unclaimed luggage will be dealt with in accordance with the carrier's own conditions of carriage. You are responsible for making yourself aware of these conditions.
Limitations on liability
- Your rights and the liability of the carrier in the case of failure to perform or improper performance of the contract with them depends on the applicable relevant conditions of carriage of the carrier.
- Please note that we will not be liable for the failure, negligence or breach of duty, law or contract of any carrier. This is because we are not responsible for the travel service provided by the carriers.
- Our liability to you may be different depending on whether you are a business customer or a consumer. You are a business customer if you are using our booking service in connection with the business you run or work for, or in connection with your trade or profession. In all other circumstances you will be a consumer.
Whether you are a consumer or a business customer:
- we do not exclude or limit in any way our liability to you where it would be unlawful to do so. This includes liability for death or personal injury caused by our negligence or the negligence of our employees and for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation; and
- if we fail to comply with these terms, we are responsible for loss or damage you suffer that is a foreseeable result of our breaking this contract or our failing to use reasonable care and skill, but we are not responsible for any loss or damage that is not foreseeable. Loss or damage is foreseeable if either it is obvious that it will happen or if, at the time the contract was made, both we and you knew it might happen, for example, if you discussed it with us during the sales process.
If you are a business customer:
- we exclude all implied conditions, warranties, representations or other terms that may apply to our booking service; and
- we will not be liable to you for any loss or damage, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, even if foreseeable, arising under or in connection with: (i) loss of profits, sales, business, or revenue; (ii) business interruption; (iii) loss of anticipated savings; (iv) loss of business opportunity, goodwill or reputation; or (v) any indirect or consequential loss or damage.
- If you are a consumer, please note that these terms and conditions, their subject matter and their formation, are governed by English law. You and we both agree that the courts of England and Wales will have exclusive jurisdiction except that if you are a resident of Northern Ireland you may also bring proceedings in Northern Ireland, and if you are resident of Scotland, you may also bring proceedings in Scotland.
- If you are a business customer, these terms terms and conditions, their subject matter and their formation (and any non-contractual disputes or claims) are governed by English law. We both agree to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.
- The law to which a carrier is subject governs disputes arising in connection with a carrier's services and your contract with them for journeys within the boundaries of one country.
- If you have a complaint about us please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the word "Complaint" in the subject line. We will acknowledge receipt of any complaints within one (1) week of receiving them, and we will respond in full no later than one (1) month after acknowledging receipt.
- If you have a complaint about a carrier(s) you have travelled with using a ticket booked through our website or apps, you should follow the complaints procedure of the carrier(s) in question. However you are free to also contact us and we will attempt to pass the details of the complaint on to the carrier(s), as far as it is within our control to do so.
- EU businesses that sell or provide goods or services online to consumers are required under European law to display a link to the European Commission's Online Dispute Resolution Platform. The platform can be found at https://ec.europa.eu/odr.
Suspected fraudulent payments
- If we suspect your booking has been made with a stolen credit or debit card, we reserve the right to cancel your tickets and void or refund the payment.
- In instances where fraud is suspected we will send an email to the email address provided at the time of booking. The booking will be quarantined until we are satisfied that additional security checks have been passed.
- Passengers who attempt to travel with a ticket that has been cancelled according to clause 21.1 will be refused entry by the train manager and the relevant local authorities alerted.
UK rail terms and conditions
In addition to the above terms and conditions, the following conditions apply when you book UK rail tickets on our website or apps:
- Use of London International CIV tickets on UK trains.
- When you book outbound tickets from the UK for international journeys that go via London St Pancras, you are given the option to purchase a "London International CIV" ticket for the UK portion of your journey. In order for this ticket to be valid for travel you must, when requested, present your print at home ticket or collect at station reference relevant to the Eurostar portion of your journey.
- The National Rail Conditions of Travel (as updated from time to time) sets out the minimum level of service you are entitled to expect in relation to your UK train journey. They also set out your rights and responsibilities in respect of any train journeys made on the UK railway network, including the liability of the carriers in respect of loss caused by the delay and/or cancellation of any train, by any missed connection or by the closure of the railway as well as in respect of loss or damage to, and delay in the delivery of luggage and its contents. The National Rail Conditions of Travel entitle customers to the same levels of compensation or refund entitlements regardless of where they purchase their ticket. Full National Rail Conditions of Travel can be found here.
Please note: we are unable to sell the following products:
- Season tickets
- Cycle reservations
- Sleeper cabins (we sell seated sleepers)
- Tickets in exchange for warrants
- Tickets including admission
- Privilege tickets for Railway Staff
- Rail station car parking
- Cycle storage at stations
- Occasionally we issue voucher codes which may be used to reduce the price of an order.
- Each voucher code has its own terms which will be specified at the time it is issued including, minimum order value and when it can be used. More information on how to use voucher codes and the specific terms of each voucher can be found on our Help pages.
- You may use each voucher code for one order only and it is your responsibility to enter the correct voucher code on the checkout page.
- If you are given a unique voucher code that is meant just for you, you must keep the voucher code confidential. It is not permitted for the voucher to be shared (e.g. on social media) and to be used by anyone else.
- If we suspect misuse of voucher codes, we reserve the right to void voucher codes, suspend accounts and cancel tickets without warning.
- Voucher codes and the terms may be modified, suspended or cancelled without warning.
- Voucher discounts are non-refundable at all times. The value of the voucher is not refunded if you cancel or exchange your order.