Rail Europe is looking for an experienced front end and mobile engineer to help us deliver a world-class mobile experience through our hybrid iOS and Android apps, combining fully native views with our single-page React application (see below).
This is a full-time position, working office hours, usually from 9.30-6 GMT. There’s flexibility in working hours and we offer a generous holiday allowance and a salary that reflects your experience.
This is a remote position, although you may be required to visit the office in Old Street to attend business meetings, events, and so on.
At Rail Europe we care deeply about building an inclusive, open and supportive work environment. We behave with respect for people and the planet and are seeking a diverse range of candidates that share these values.
We're a small, passionate and cosmopolitan team, with a healthy remote-first culture and an office in London. Our success is built on trust, empathy and shared knowledge, with our users at the centre of what we do. We're proud to have an average rating of 4.6 out of 5 on Trustpilot after nearly 50,000 reviews.
We’ve been selling tickets since 2012 (read our full story here), and we’re growing rapidly as the business matures. Our goal is to scale effectively whilst continuing to delight our users.
Why join us?
- We have high standards for our code. If you care about security, performance, usability and reliability, you'll fit in with our team.
- We strive to learn and improve together in a supportive environment as the wider tech ecosystem evolves.
- We offer flexible hours and a well-designed remote working culture built on trust. Work around your schedule and when you’re most productive.
- Our days are not full of meetings and needless distractions. Allowing others to achieve flow is a big part of supporting each other. We strive for a balance between collaboration and focused independent work that works for everyone.
- Everyone is encouraged to ask questions, think creatively and suggest new working practices. We have a small team so your voice will be heard.
Our current mobile applications present the website on mobile devices in embedded web-views. We’re sticking with this hybrid approach (i.e., we don’t intend to have fully native apps any time soon) but are now transitioning our traditional multi-page web application to a React-powered single-page application (SPA).
Once we’ve transitioned to the SPA, more functionality and UX elements will be consistent across our mobile website and applications, but there will remain areas where we’ll need to use native functionality. One of Loco2’s main goals is to be useful to customers when they are travelling, and building an exceptional mobile UX that feels truly native is one of our biggest goals for the future.
Whilst we don’t expect you to be a master of everything, you should have some familiaritywith our mobile stack:
- A React + TypeScript SPA
- A hybrid iOS app written in Swift
- A hybrid Android app written in Kotlin
Other things you might get involved with, if you wanted to, include:
- A traditional multi-page web application written in Ruby on Rails, using CoffeeScript and SCSS
- A Ruby library for communicating with train-booking APIs
- AWS-hosted Docker infrastructure, with continuous delivery
We're looking for a senior engineer with at least a few years of professional hybrid mobile application development experience. Our definition of "professional" includes:
- Taking pride in our work
- Writing automated tests for (most of) our code
- Keeping things consistent (e.g., code linting)
- Constructive peer reviews
- Writing clear, modular, maintainable code
It's important that you be comfortable working on the iOS and Android parts of our codebase. You should also be familiar with our front-end tech stack, React and TypeScript. You will be the main developer on the native part of the app and will be working in a small team of 4 developers on the front-end part.
Our ideal candidate will also:
- Work hours that have some overlap with London daytime
- Be motivated by Rail Europe's mission
- Speak English fluently
- Be happy with a salary within the range of £55,000 to 70,000 (or equivalent in another currency)
- Be comfortable reading and writing clear, declarative English sentences. Because we work remotely and have a lot of written documentation, good communication is just as important as good code.
- Have a keen appetite for self-improvement and growth, but won't hesitate to ask for help when needed
- Strive to discover and understand the root cause of problems
- Suggest new and improved solutions, rather than treating the symptoms
How to apply
Email [email protected] and tell us about your skills and experience, plus include links to any relevant public repositories. You can send a CV if you want, but we particularly like reading a well-written email.
There are some specific questions we'd like you to answer (feel free to be brief if you’d prefer to elaborate in other areas):
- What are some of the most challenging/interesting programming tasks you have worked on?
- Why do you want to work for Rail Europe?
- In what country and timezone do you live?
- What are your approximate salary expectations? (Please state currency)
We welcome applications from everybody, regardless of race, gender, or sexual orientation.
Our aim is to make the hiring process as fair and simple as possible. If your email to us answers the questions above and your experience matches what we're looking for, then you'll be asked to complete a brief coding challenge. Once submitted, your code will be scored anonymously by a developer on our team. We'll share our feedback with you via email. If your submission scored well, we'll invite you to an interview with some of our team before making an offer.
Come join us!